Police arrest Gary Couchon of Easthampton on six charges after alleged murder attempt, assault on disabled women

Tuesday, July 22, 2014
NORTHAMPTON — An Easthampton man is being held without bail on charges, including attempted murder, after an incident in Easthampton Sunday night in which he is alleged to have assaulted two disabled women.

Gary P. Couchon, 59, of 21 Morin Drive, was arrested in an apartment at 66½ Maple St. at 9:09 p.m. on charges of attempted murder, two counts of assault and battery on a disabled person, two counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon (a hammer and a shod foot), and breaking and entering in the nighttime with intent to commit a felony.

He denied the charges in Northampton District Court Monday and was ordered held without bail in the Hampshire House of Corrections pending a dangerousness hearing scheduled for Friday.

Easthampton Police Capt. Robert Alberti said one of the two female residents of the apartment called 911 to report that Couchon had forced his way into the apartment. Couchon’s son sublets rooms to the women, who told police they are disabled due to previous back injuries.

According to statements from the two women, Couchon forced open the door when one woman opened it. He was apparently intoxicated and had urinated on himself, so they gave him clean pants, Alberti said. Couchon allegedly screamed at them to get out and attacked them.

The women told police that Couchon pushed one of them to the ground and punched her in the back. He also picked up a hammer and swung it at the head of the other woman, but she ducked and it hit her in the shoulder, Alberti said. Couchon then allegedly kicked her in the groin, grabbed her by the neck with both hands and flipped her onto a chair.

He allegedly choked her while screaming, “I’ll kill you,” the woman told police. She said she started to lose consciousness and the other woman intervened, kicking Couchon in the groin and causing him to let go of her.

The women told police they then fled to the apartment’s kitchen, where Couchon continued to try to punch and kick and grab them until police arrived. Neither of the women had to be taken to the hospital, Alberti said.

Rebecca Everett can be reached at reverett@gazettenet.com.