Friday, August 01, 2014
LEXINGTON, Ky. — Former Kentucky guard James Young says he is “good to go” after a concussion that kept the Boston Celtics’ first-round draft pick from playing in the NBA’s summer league.
Young sustained the concussion and whiplash in a car accident before last month’s NBA draft. The Celtics chose the 6-foot-6 swingman 17th overall with its second first-round pick — Boston selected Oklahoma State guard Marcus Smart sixth overall with the first — but held Young out of practices and the competition for rookies and free agents in Orlando.
Young said Tuesday that he was cleared to practice a “few days ago”, adding that the scary rear-end collision showed him “how fast things can change. It really opened my eyes about things and I’m very blessed that I’m here and still playing.”