Wednesday, June 11, 2014
NORTHAMPTON — A cloud of natural gas moved through a section of the city between Bridge Road and Northampton High School for about 45 minutes Tuesday night, and firefighters were unable to determine its source, said Deputy Fire Chief David Gagne.
Firefighters responded to reports from residents of an odor of natural gas about 7:30 p.m., Gagne said. He said the department checked local stores and neighborhoods for the possible source, and reported the odor to the Berkshire Gas Co.
Within about 45 minutes, the odor disappeared, Gagne said. “It dissipated. It’s totally gone.”
Gagne added that there was no lingering health threat to people in the area.