Wednesday, March 05, 2014
GRANBY — An apparent electrical fire in the basement of a Granby home late Saturday night caused an estimated $100,000 in damage, but two people asleep when the blaze started escaped uninjured.
Firefighters responding to 80 Cold Hill Road at 11:20 p.m. were able to contain the fire to a basement mechanical area, but the “stubborn” fire took between 45 minutes and an hour to put out, Fire Chief Russ Anderson said Sunday.
While the fire stayed in the basement, smoke caused extensive damage throughout the rest of the home.
“The house was completely charged with smoke,” Anderson said.
The Granby fire and police departments are investigating the fire, along with the State Fire Marshall’s Office, though it is not suspicious, Fire Chief Anderson stated.
“The investigation is ongoing but it appears to be electrical in nature,” he said.
The home’s occupants awoke to heavy smoke but were able to get out of the house safely, Granby Fire Department said in a press release.
Anderson said two people were in the house and are now staying with family in the area.
According to Granby property records, the home is owned by Rita Desjardins and is assessed at $272,000.
Seventeen Granby firefighters responded to the fire. The department had assistance from South Hadley Fire District 2, which sent firefighters and an engine, and South Hadley Fire District 1, which provided medical support. Westover Air Base provided station coverage.
Firefighters cleared the scene at 2:15 a.m.